Wednesday 12 November 2014

firecracker quilt reveal

 This must be some kind of record for me
three quilt reveals in one year?!
My camera does not like red
apologies if my pictures burn your retinas!
Enjoy...you know the protocol..







 The juicy bits.
Firstly I'm shocked that I finished this all in one year
especially as its hand pieced and hand quilted!
This quilt began after I had a purge on all my scrap fabrics.
Some how I had all these heavy woven fabrics
rather than throw them out I decided to make something from nothing.
The red and the cream were given to me by my Mum (as they do).
The denim was a skirt that I ripped.
The turquoise was a curtain from my last home.
The navy floral was a junk shop find
and the stripes came from another quilt back.
The quilt backing is a vintage sheet from the same junk shop.
Quilt measurements 75" x 60" 
diamonds 8" at the widest point. 
Quilted with cream anchor perle cotton 8.
I quilted lines that exploded out from the middle star
to add extra fireiness.
Lastly the name.
I soon realised as I began this quilt that I was going to keep it 
red white and blue.
As my birthday was a big one this year
I started to call it my celebration quilt.
But then my friend Mary
told me that people whose birthdays fall near July 4th
are called lil firecrackers.
And so I found the perfect name!!!
ps. this quilt is so heavy...man!

24 comments:

  1. Hi Clare! This is so beautiful and impressive quilt! Great photos, too! x Teje

    ReplyDelete
  2. ... forgot to say that your label is Super!

    ReplyDelete
  3. WoW! that is gorgeous, and you have inspired me to sort my fabrics and make a quilt!
    Julie xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful job! Vibrant colors, nice quilting and matching corners. I am so jealous, but you should be proud of this one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fantastic!!! I love this quilt
    Stefania

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, wow, congratulations! What a very special work. I loved reading about where the different fabrics came from. It's an absolute beauty, Clare. Looks fabulous on your bed, especially with those sheets. But, I think my favorite part is the name and the label. Such a special touch.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's wonderful Clare. Really stunning and all that hand sewing of heavy fabrics...respect to you :0)
    I love it's name....you are right it is perfect for this glorious explosion of a design.
    Jacquie x

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's a fabulous quilt! I like how you used the striped fabric. The quilting is great, too.
    Isn't it nice to make someting beautiful out of thrifted and recycled materials?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love that you used all found materials and did it by hand. Happy Birthday and congratulations. Very nice quilting, by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's fantastic! I love that it's a proper quilt made with re-purposed fabric. Your quilting is awesomely neat:-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congratulations on a great finish! the bigstitch quilting complements the quilt perfectly!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is stunning. I love the colors!

    ReplyDelete
  13. SNAP, CRACKLE, POP! What a fabulous quilt! I love how it matches your sheets! You have outdone yourself...if that is possible! You are the bomb! 💣

    ReplyDelete
  14. Such a gorgeous, gorgeous quilt! Love how vibrant it is. Your stitching adds a beautiful texture. Makes me want to make one too.:)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love the quilt and it looks so cozy on that bed :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. My birthday is actually on 4th July and I never heard that phrase before. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  17. The peek through the door is my fav picture ; )
    Happy quilting

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow, you did an amazing job. I certainly don't think I would ever have the patience to hand piece a quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Gorgeous Clare! You must be very proud of it!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. It looks fabulous on the bed. You've done a wonderful job.

    ReplyDelete
  21. The Quilt looks amazing.
    Your handquilting is perfect.

    Greetings, Manuela

    ReplyDelete
  22. Really gorgeous quilt Clare - your style is unique and brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  23. It is a real labour of love that one isn't it. I love the lable nearly as much as the quilt itself.
    Now I'm kind of settling at work would you like to meet for a tea in town one day?
    Lisa x

    ReplyDelete
  24. It is stunning and so beautiful with your flowered sheets and pretty bedroom!! How lovely!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are greatly appreciated.
However you may find your comment doesnt appear,
dont worry its the thought that counts!
You can always find me on Instagram if you have any questions.
Clare x