Friday 8 May 2020

Big Kiss Quilt tutorial



Welcome dear friends to
the Big Kiss quilt sew along.
My gift to you to keep you present.
This 50 inch quilt is made of 4 IDENTICAL blocks.
This is a tutorial for one block.
Sewing the quilt has now been added below.
The block is basically a 25 inch giant string pattern,
there will be waste fabric,
I do hope you think its worth it.

You can find my secret tip for choosing fabrics on my Instagram Big Kiss highlight.
(you dont need to join instagram to view)
You will need 12 fabrics, all different or alternating.
High contrast fabrics work well as do a mix of solids and patterns
Vintage fabrics, old bedding and unloved yardage can all be useful.
Don't be afraid to stitch fabrics together if you find you dont have enough.
You will need a quilters ruler with a 45 degree line
or the ability to make a square paper template with a 45 degree drawn line.
All measurements are in inches.

All the strips are 3.5 inches wide
with 1/4 inch seam allowance included.
The finished width once sewn will be 3 inches.
The above picture gives you the starting measurements in inches.  
You'll notice they come in pairs.
I like to cut strips in pairs.
Cut the fabric with the grain, cutting on the bias should be avoided.
*I highly recommend cutting one block at a time,
in case you want to tweak anything after sewing your first block.
Fold your strips in half and iron or mark with a water soluble pen

This gives you a temporary guide line for sewing your strips together accurately.
You might like to label your strips at this point or take a photograph for you to reference.

Starting with the two longest strips
pin wrongsides together at the fold/halfway point

You might want to pin the whole strip
depending on your machining skills.

Referring to your photograph or labels
continue pinning at the fold and sewing in the order with strips decreasing in size.
Sew with the usual 1/4 seam.
I always stitch with a 1/4 inch foot.
Do not iron until you've sewn the entire block,
otherwise you will lose your fold markers.
See how the fold lines all match.
Now you can iron your seams.
I pressed my seams open because my machine prefers less bulk.
I'm actually recommending you do that now
as its easier makes sewing the blocks together.

Cutting the block
(Full cutting the block tutorial video is now available
on my Instagram highlight circle
called Block cutting.)
The most important and satisfying part is cutting the block into a square.
The diagonal size of this block is approximately 36 inches
(see above)
You should mark either end before you cut.
I have been overly generous
with the strip lengths,
you could stretch your diagonal to 37"
you will waste less fabric and make a slightly bigger quilt.

Check that your cutting lines will make a square and that there is full coverage either side
and top and bottom of the block.
Do this with the opposite corner too.
Please don't cut until you understand!
This is where the 45 degree ruler is needed.
Line up your ruler with the mark you made before on the diagonal.
Always start with this part of the block.
If you are scared of cutting or are unsure you could mark with a water soluble pen, or pencil.
Line up the 45 degree line on the centre of your block and cut.
Continue lining up the 45 degree line as you cut your way along.

With the first side cut spin your ruler round to cut the next side,
once again lining up the 45 degree line.


Making sure that your cut side is always square with the ruler markings.

Ta dah!
Hopefully you have a beautiful big block that measures 25.5inches.
(or larger)
*Please note that it does not matter if your square isnt exactly 25.5
its only important that its square.
If you had trouble with the cutting you can always resquare your block with your ruler.
I have made this block with quite a generous fabric allowance,
you may find after sewing your first block that you could slightly reduce the lengths of your strips for less waste,
but that is entirely up to you.
All thats left for you to do is make 3 more exactly the same.
Now that you have the idea, you could easily enlarge or reduce this pattern.


I'm really looking forward to seeing your makes
and sewing our blocks together to make the quilt.
Please save all your kisses for me  #bigkissquiltsal

I have now added a full video tutorial on how to cut the block,
find it in my Instagram highlight circle labelled Block Cutting.

Stitching the blocks together

Now that you have four blocks
its time to make a quilt top!

Begin by pinning two blocks together
Place a pin at every seam taking care to match them both sides.
You may find they don't perfectly line up,
you should be able to wriggle the two so they do.

Simply sew together with a 1/4 inch seam
and press open.

Make sure you sew the right two matching sides
Its so east to pick up the blocks and sew the wrong ends together!

When joining the two halves together,
start pinning from the middle and work your way out.
I put a pin through both points to make sure I didnt sew over them.
Sew the halves together and press the final seam.

After pressing you may find your blocks have slight discrepencies
like I have here.

Dont worry!
Line your ruler up with the correct edge and cut off the extra fabric.
DO NOT get carried away with trimming
because if you cut too much you might lose your square
and have to resquare the whole quilt

Another small example.

Hopefully by now you have a finished quilt top
so sit back and admire your work.
Congratulations!



Another variation using the same blocks is the Hug quilt
Or I quite like This way up


Thankyou for joining me on this journey
Blowing you lots of kisses.
Please remember to tag your quilts
#bigkissquiltsal




29 comments:

  1. Definitely considering this Clare! Love your quilt so much.:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just found your blog - this and your paper pieced hexagon quilt are beautiful. I've just started paper piecing - would love to make a quilt someday but I think my little hexagons are destined for a cushion. A quilt seems a little intimidating right now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Absolutely fantastic!!! ❤️❤️❤️❤️

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you! Have always loved this quilt of yours. Very generous of you to share. Hope you and your family are safe and healthy! ❤️

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you so much! It is a lovely quilt. Are you pressing your seams open or to the side?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The seams are pressed open in the pictures.
      Lovely quilt!

      Delete
  6. This is so happening at my house this week! I’ve been trying to get started on something other than masks, but keep not starting. A quick big make like this will be perfect! Your quilt is beautiful, thanks for sharing your process.

    ReplyDelete
  7. thank you for sharing this! just what I needed today!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for the easy to understand and detailed tutorial, Clare.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Just found this quilt on IG and came here... very nice directions... think I'll got rummage around in my stash... thanks for the inspiration!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love this quilt! Is there a way for my to Pin this in Pinterest so I don’t lose it?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Absolutely fantastic!thank you for sharing this!
    clipping path

    ReplyDelete
  12. After being in relationship with Wilson for seven years,he broke up with me, I did everything possible to bring him back but all was in vain, I wanted him back so much because of the love I have for him, I begged him with everything, I made promises but he refused. I explained my problem to someone online and she suggested that I should contact a spell caster that could help me cast a spell to bring him back but I am the type that don’t believed in spell, I had no choice than to try it, I meant a spell caster called Dr Zuma zuk and I email him, and he told me there was no problem that everything will be okay before three days, that my ex will return to me before three days, he cast the spell and surprisingly in the second day, it was around 4pm. My ex called me, I was so surprised, I answered the call and all he said was that he was so sorry for everything that happened, that he wanted me to return to him, that he loves me so much. I was so happy and went to him, that was how we started living together happily again. Since then, I have made promise that anybody I know that have a relationship problem, I would be of help to such person by referring him or her to the only real and powerful spell caster who helped me with my own problem and who is different from all the fake ones out there. Anybody could need the help of the spell caster, his email: spiritualherbalisthealing@gmail.com or WhatsApp him +15068001647 you can email him if you need his assistance in your relationship or anything. CONTACT HIM NOW FOR SOLUTION TO ALL YOUR PROBLEMS

    ReplyDelete
  13. Are you having issues in your relationship, or finding it difficult to have a child of your own or are you the type having any diseases in your body. I will advice you to contact Dr. Abolo of Abolospell@gmail.com . The potency of his spell is so effective and can reunite broken relationship and can also make one get pregnant know matter the situation and not only that, he also has the power to cure all type of diseases within the period of 48hours.. Contact him today and thank me later.

    Contact details : Abolospell@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. HAVE YOU LOST YOUR MONEY TO BINARY OPTION SCAM OR ANY ONLINE SCAM WHATSOEVER?.DO YOUR DESIRE CREDIT REPAIR[EQUIFAX, EXPERIAN, TRANSUNION? WELL, YOU HAVE FOUND REDEMPTION IN ASORE CORP.
    asorehackcorp@gmail.com

    Asore Corp is a group of multinational Hacker's, an affiliate of Evil Corp. We make sure by all means necessary that our clients get the best of services on a🔐PAYMENT AFTER JOB IS DONE BASIS✅. Rather than send money and trust a criminal to fulfill your deal, you can make sure the job is done before WORKMANSHIP is paid for. You'll get excellent customer service.
    That's a 100% guarantee. Our Cyber security Technicians are on standby 24/7 to receive your job requests.

    ⚠️ BEWARE OF FRAUDSTARS looking to hoax.
    if you have been a VICTIM, contact : ✉️cyberprecinct@gmail.com for directives.
    Here, it's always a win for you.

    🔸OUR SERVICES🔸
    ➡️Binary Option funds recovery
    ➡️Social media hack
    ➡️Recovery of loan scam
    ➡️Credit repair (Equifax,Experian,Transunion)
    ➡️E mail hack
    ➡️College score upgrade
    ➡️Android & iPhone Hack
    ➡️Website design
    ➡️Website hack
    And lots more.

    DISCLAIMER: Asore Cyber Corp accepts no responsibility for any information,previously given to anybody by clients on as regarding the job. Asore Cyber Corp will not distribute contact information collected on any hacking job other than in the Asore corps Hacker's listings themselves, and will not sell contact information to third parties.

    CONTACT INFO:
    📧 asorehackcorp@gmail.com
    cyberprecinct@gmail.com

    Copyright ©️
    Asore Cyber Corp 2021.
    All rights reserved.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Herbal medicine is the best 💓💓Greetings I am here to testify how great man called Dr OMO helped me out with herbs and roots which he prepared for me in use of curing my fibroids and Getting pregnant after 8 years of try to conceive with fibroids I takes his product (cure for my fibroid made with herbal medicine Root) for (21) days before I am to known I was totally pregnant after 2months of using dr omo herbs he also have Herbal medical for all types of diseases, and i promised him that i will tell the world about his Great job he ask me to drink from the herbal medicine before meeting my husband I did and after 2months I was pregnant thank you for your great job he can also help you if you have a low sperm count you want to convince a baby fast PCOS ,infections, stomach ulcer ,u Endometriosis cancer, yeast infection, fibromyalgia, Gonorrhea, Chronic Sinus, LUPUS

    low testosterone, Herpes, blocked fallopian tubes Liver parasites ovarian cysts Arthritis, pile, ALS, Crowns and all other type of diseases, breast cancer, Get lost period back, stop period pain, Email : dromo596@gmail.com WhatsApp him on +2349033505260 thank you..Dr Omo. Please help me share and save others God bless you all................

    ReplyDelete
  16. Anticipate customer needs before picking up their call!
    When using a VOIP CRM integration, your staff will see a screen pop-up for every incoming call, which allows them to see who's calling, pull up their info, last orders, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I was searching for loan to sort out my bills& debts, then i saw comments about Blank ATM Credit Card that can be hacked to withdraw money from any ATM machines around you . I doubted thus but decided to give it a try by contacting (smithhackingcompanyltd@gmail.com} they responded with their guidelines on how the card works. I was assured that the card can withdraw $5,000 instant per day & was credited with$50,000,000.00 so i requested for one & paid the delivery fee to obtain the card, after 24 hours later, i was shock to see the UPS agent in my resident with a parcel{card} i signed and went back inside and confirmed the card work's after the agent left. This is no doubts because i have the card & has made used of the card. This hackers are USA based hackers set out to help people with financial freedom!! Contact these email if you wants to get rich with this Via: smithhackingcompanyltd@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. Are you tired of being childless? Are you tired of having bad dreams? Are you tired of going broke? Are you tired of losing someone you gave a heart to love still yet he/she broke your heart?Are you tired of having bad luck everyday? Are you tired of being scammed in whatever you do? You have a court case? You do illegal drugs business// and you need protection? Do you need customers in your business? Message Dr Ogweshan now let him solve your problems for you? Whatsapp or Call (+2348063554683 ) (Email address::drogweshan@gmail.com)

    ReplyDelete
  19. This blog is really helpful for the public .easily understand,
    Thanks for published,hoping to see more high quality article like this.
    블랙잭사이트

    ReplyDelete
  20. 25,000 US Dollars was transferred into my account within 24hours, all thanks to darkwebonlinehackers@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thanks for the detailed and informative posts

    ReplyDelete
  22. Great post with informative content. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  23. It was so bravely and depth information. I feel so good read to your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Great Information. Thanks for your blog! Eagerly waiting for your new updates.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Unwind in Style with Rattan Garden Furniture Ltd Indulge in the luxury of outdoor living with our premium rattan collection. Transform your garden into a sanctuary of comfort and elegance. Hurry, seize the opportunity to save up to 80%! Visit: www.rattangardenfurnitureltd.co.uk

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are greatly appreciated.
However you may find your comment doesnt appear,
dont worry its the thought that counts!
You can always find me on Instagram if you have any questions.
Clare x